After a 3-day weekend of intense manual labor in the hot sun, these are the random factoids rattling about in my head to share with you today:
* My house came with a cat, who stations herself on the porch and meows. Loudly. I named her Crybaby.
* I can faintly hear a train from the house, and it makes me think of the song “Downbound Train” by Bruce Springsteen. Not the most cheerful ditty, but I adore that song.
* After hours of digging, raking, burying my hands in dirt, lugging tree branches big enough to build a log cabin (I exaggerate slightly…but not much), and sweating more than I thought was even humanly possible, nothing was more heavenly than a long, cold shower, my deep conditioner, and my shower radio. Ahhhhhhh…
* Yes, it is possible to endure a 3-day weekend of no Internet access and live to tell about it!
* I found myself laughing and playing with Gary on the phone, and I thought, “We’re going to be all right.” We’ve been through a lot and can still find joy in each other. That means a lot to me. Everything.
* My cats have staked out their favorite windowsills and sunbeams already. Priorities, priorities!
* Old habits die hard. I find myself walking around the house and yard thinking “I got to make sure the kids don’t play in the storage shed, because the step is kind of high…I better reorganize the plants on the porch so the kids have room to run by…”
* Once you start yard work, you simply discover new tasks to take on in the near future!